Sunday, 8 July 2012
A Swarm!!
Have returned from a 7 day holiday abroad and was welcomed by a a swarm that had made itself a home in one of the two hive awaiting 'nucs' next week! The bees are certainly mine from the the older hive (see my comment in an earlier post in which I had a hunch scout bees had been at work). I feel very relieved after losing a nuc through robbing. Looks like robbing has paid itself. Later in the evening I decided to syrup feed the 'new' hive in order to give it a good head start. Lots of bees, hive almost full, looks like an established hive. Does not look like this hive will be susciptible to robbing. Have reduced the entrance size to help with defence in case of robbing. Will need to place more frames to prevent comb being build in void (only 5 frames in).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment