Saturday, 11 July 2009

Inspection Time

I carried out another inspection today (10/07/2009) to see how the bees were getting on and also to ascertain if the queen was present. The bees have used all the sugar solution given to them on 28/06/2009, so I have not replenished it. I can categorically state that the bees are queenless. There is no sign of a queen. There is no sign of any eggs and/or unsealed brood. Only sealed brood can be observed. Again as previous, I managed to destroy three queen cells which were in the process of construction. The bees are infested with varroa mite. I also have suspicions that there might possibly be braula infestation as well. I have observed light coloured six legged insects on the hive floor moving about much faster than varroa. I have requested for some anti-varroa strips for infestation treatment. Have also requested for another queen. Awaiting a response from the nuc supplier.

No comments: