Sunday, 28 June 2009

From 'Nuc' to Hive

This evening I entered the uncharted territory in bee keeping terms. I actually managed bees single handed by transferring the bees that arrived yesterday from a 'nuc' box to a hive that will become their permanent home. I was apprehensive, all the time wondering whether everything was going to go accordingly. Whilst transferring the frames and inspecting them at the time (for the queen, brood, food supplies etc.) I was a bit nervous nonetheless. Guess what? The queen had been released from her cage! I am sure it was her since she bore this unmistakable paint spot on her thorax. You can imagine my delight as opposed to the indifferent feelings I had yesterday when I discovered this mysterious dead '96' bee. Having satisfied myself that everything appeared okay, I replaced the queen excluder, placed an empty super and placed a plastic feeder in it. Poured about a litre and a half of sugar syrup. Replaced the crown board and finally the roof. Will inspect the hive in about 5 days' time.

No comments: